Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Clarification

So, to clarify my last post...

I got a call from HR yesterday saying that there's not enough work in Morocco right now so they're letting go of expat leaders there. Those expats from the EU (i.e., most of them) will be leading trips in Europe. Those expats from the US (i.e., me) are in limbo. I am neither officially employed nor officially unemployed right now. I may be able to get transferred to a region where things are stronger (i.e., somewhere in Asia). Or I may get transferred to an affiliate company in the States. Neither of these things would be bad, and both would definitely beat undergoing a job search. But...

Morocco. It's been my home for a year. And while day-to-day life there isn't easy in the long term...it's such an amazing place. And I will miss many things. Sitting on the ramparts overlooking the sea in Essaouira. Getting lost and found again and again in Fes. Fresh orange juice for 3dh in Marrakech. Watching weavers and potters at work. Practicing Arabic. Seeing my Moroccan friends.

So I will miss Morocco. And I will try to go back there. Maybe to work, maybe to study, maybe just to visit. But I will be back. It's too much a part of me now to give it up.

No comments: