Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Ultimate Narcotic

Last Friday, my girlfriend decided to cook us a fancy dinner at home. She went to the nearby market and bought bluefish, cream, and spinach linguini. She wouldn't tell me what was for dessert. After dinner she chased me from the kitchen, with several cautionings of "I've never tried this before" and "I don't know if this will work." So I stayed in the bedroom, reading Margaret Cho and wondering what the hell kind of dessert involved a pot of boiling water and a can of whipped cream. Ten minutes of so later I found out.

Chocolate Ravioli.

I was dubious, I admit. Chocolate pasta? How does that work? But with willing suspension of disbelief, I took a bite. And melted.

The ravioli are made with cocoa powder added to the pasta itself, and are stuffed with mascarpone and ricotta blended with bittersweet chocolate. They are divine. Incredibly rich. My girlfriend had bought six, but we found that we could only eat two each before lying back and falling asleep fully clothed with the lights on in a chocolate-induced coma. We woke up a few hours later, confused but still high.

So if you feel the need for opiates but can't get them prescribed, try chocolate pasta. Your girlfriend will thank you. :p

No comments: