Monday, March 2, 2009

What happened to my hair?

Last week, I got a haircut for free. And was reminded acutely that you get what you pay for. It seemed like a good idea at the time. A salon was advertising for models to display different styles. I figured I'd go in, have something new and interesting done, and go out feeling like I'd gotten the change I needed. When I got there, though, I discovered to my chagrin that I was the only model who'd signed up (I use the term "model" loosely here, meaning only someone who's willing to go to the hairdressing seat blindfolded). An hour and a half later, after the tender ministrations of ten people struggling to perfect a new cut, my hair was significantly shorter and highly voluminous (never cut curly hair for volume. It leads to something looking suspiciously like a 'fro). I spent the next few days investing in headbands, hairclips, and styling products to mitigate the 'do. I even bought a bottle of purple hair dye, which I haven't gotten up the impetus to use just yet, but that is waiting as soon as I'm sure I won't have an interview anytime soon.

All this got me to thinking...is my hair gay? There's a fine longstanding tradition of lesbian hair, but it's generally limited to buzzcuts, fifteen-year-old-boy-cuts, and the fortunately out of date mullet, which is thankfully rarely seen anymore. My former long, flowing locks were certainly good at getting attention (at one point in college I had three friends fondling my curls and saying that my hair deserved to be groped, looking like it did). But Botticelli-style waves are not inherently gay. Neither, I think, are short, fluffy curls, though they're probably a bit closer. My girlfriend tells me that short hair is hot. It might be. Research has shown me that my current cut does not meet the accepted definition of "lesbian hair" (which, oddly enough, is not "hair that belongs to a lesbian.")

Apparently, there are references to specific cuts:

http://www.lesbiatopia.com/2007/03/lesbian-hair-good-bad-and-ugly.html


http://www.lesbilicious.co.uk/community/lesbian-hair-the-secrets-untangled/

And certain stars have apparently been seen sporting some of them:
http://www.afterellen.com/blog/dorothysnarker/lesbian-hair-makes-a-comeback

I think that I'm actually somewhat relieved. Not having lesbian hair means that I don't fit into a stereotype, which is always good, in my book. And I admit, I enjoy being ambiguous, in this as in other things. So while my haircut may be interesting and unusual, it does not mark me as gay. So people will still have to wonder ;)

1 comment:

Haley said...

Your poor hair! I cut mine shorter but that was by choice and done by someone who knew how to deal with the chaos of curls!

I don't know just how short it is, but go to www.naturallycurly.com and you might be able to find some solutions or a salon in DC where someone knowledgeable of curls might be able to mitigate the damage. It's how I found the lady who cuts mine in St. Pete.